A Hijack Chapter’s ‘Map’ tab allows the embedding of a map specifying one location. But what if you need to point your visitors to several locations?
This can be achieved using a combination of Hijack’s Custom Options and Google Maps’ nifty Your Places feature.
Creating your custom map
- Make sure you are logged into your Google account
- Visit https://www.google.com/maps/
- Open the extended menu and find the ‘Your places’ section
- Click on the ‘Maps’ tab and select ‘Create Map’ at the bottom of the window
- A new window will open. You can name your map, add a description and start to search for locations to add to your map. Alternatively, use the pin dropper to save more specific locations.
- Once finished, you’ll need to ‘Share’ your map so that it can be embedded. Most commonly, you’ll want to share it publicly so that anyone on the internet can access
- Finally, use the extended menu to find the ’embed on my site’ option. This will provide you with the URL you’ll need to input in the Hijack Settings.
Using the Custom Options to embed your map into your Hijack Chapter
- Make sure the ‘Custom Options’ tab is enabled in the Chapter Options.
- Navigate to the ‘Custom Options’ tab
- Give your tab a title
- Paste in the URL for your custom Google Map into the iframe URL field. You don’t need the iframe tags or size settings, only the URL.
- Update your Chapter and view your Hijack to make sure everything works as expected.